City of Brussels
The City of Brussels
Ville de Bruxelles (French)
Stad Brussel (Dutch)
is one of the municipalities of the Brussels-Capital Region in Belgium and
is the official capital of Belgium. As headquarters of many European institutions Brussels might also be considered something of
a capital for the European Union.
50º 51' N; 4º 21' E
On January 1st, 2006, the City of Brussels had a total population of 144.784. The total area is 32.61 km² which gives a
population density of 4.440 inhabitants per km².
- Official web site of The City of Brussels
Page related to The City of Brussels in the Brussels-Capital Region official web site
Brussels' main airport is Zaventem
. From the airport, a train runs every 15 minutes to Brussels city centre. There is also
a bus line number 12 and 11 every 20 to 30 minutes via Rondpoint Schumann to the Place de Luxembourg(European Parliament) district.
There are several budget airlines flying to Brussels Charleroi
airport, which lies one hour away from
Brussels city centre by coach, or by bus to Charleroi station and then by train. You can also get a taxi from the airport to the
city centre (approximately € 90).
airport also has a good train connection to Brussels.
Brussels has two main train stations: Bruxelles Midi-Brussel Zuid
, to the south of the
city core, and Bruxelles Central-Brussel Centraal
, which is right next to the city centre.
Where to sleep in Brussels
- Youth Hostel Generation Europe, Rue de l'Eléphant-Olifantstraat 4, +32 2 410 38 58
(Fax +32 2 410 39 05). Offers beds for budget travelling.
- Bugget Brussels Hotels, Rue du Damier 7, +32 2 310 16 71 (Fax +32 2 310 16 71).
Offers budget hotels in Brussels from 50 USD.
- Hotel A La Grande Cloche, Place Rouppeplein 10, +32 2 512 61 40 (Fax: +32 2 512 65 91)
Cheap rates, decent rooms, decent location halfway between Gare du Midi-Zuidstation and the Grand' Place-Grote Markt.
- Youth Hostel Sleep Well , Rue du Damier 23, +32 2 218 50 50 (Fax +32 2 218 13 13).
Centrally located, very clean. Available double rooms with private facilities (about €60).
- Hotel Aberdeen, Rue du Colombier 4, +32 2 223 52 58 (Fax +32 2 223 12 33),
firstname.lastname@example.org. Very centrally located (Rue Neuve), clean and comfortable, but quite noisy at night. In summer
2006, prices were about €55 per double room.
- ApartmentsApart , +48.22.820.9231 (1-866-387-6429 Toll Free from the USA & Canada).
Beautifully furnished 1, 2 & 3 bedrooms offered. 5 minutes from the city center by Metro. Apartments start as low as
€ 118 per night for 4 guests. The friendly staff and extra services will ensure you a wonderful stay.
- Arlequin, 17 to 19 Rue de la Fourche-Greepstraat. Free Wi-Fi Internet.
- La Madeleine, Rue de la Montagne-Bergstraat 20-22, tel +32-2 513-29-73,
fax +32-2 502-13-50, email@example.com. Just off the Grand' Place and a short walk away from
- Opera is centrally placed on Rue Grétrystraat 53. Quoted price of 73 Euros may be negotiated
downwards if booking a off-peak weekend or 3 or more days.
- Villa Primavera , Rue de la Presse-Drukpersstraat, 18, tel +32.475.501856. Fully-furnished studio-type,
1 & 2 bedrooms apartments from 1 night to 1 year. 5 minutes from the Central Station. Just behind the Belgian Parliament
and Park of Brussels. Close to EU district.
- Hilton Brussels , 38, Boulevard de Waterloo, Brussels, Belgium 1000, tel +32-2-5041111,
- Sofitel Brussels Toison d'Or, Avenue de la Toison d'Or-Gulden Vlieslaan 40, tel +32 2 5142200
(fax: +32 2 5145744, email: H1071@accor-hotels.com). A rather nice Sofitel with good rooms, conveniently located close
to the very heart of the city in the fashionable Luisa district.door).
- Sofitel Brussels Airport, Bessenveldstraat 15, Diegem, 15 min. from city centre, 11 conference rooms up
to 750 delegates. Contact: (+32)2/7136666
- Radisson SAS Royal, Rue du Fosse-aux-Loups 47, +32-2-2192828. Three minutes' walk from the Grand Place
and the Central Station. Free Wifi, fitness center with sauna and solarium, restaurant "Sea Grill" has two Michelin stars.
Rates from €95 per night.